Contact Us    Events    Donate   

Dignity, Security, and Peace at Life's End

Links to Government Agencies


Links to Government Agencies
Aging and Adult Services Administration, Department of Social and Health Services, P.O. Box 45600, Olympia,  WA  98504; 800.422.3263 or go to  This agency has a wide range of information regarding Aging, Benefits, Care giving, In Home Care Insurance, Residential Care, Chronic Illnesses, Functional Disability and more.
Benefits Check Up – On line service of the National Council on Aging available to assist Seniors in determining whether they may qualify for assistance with medical benefits, as well as legal and financial issues.
Department of State for the Federal Government:   202.647.5225 or after 10:00 EST call 202.647.4000; issues on deaths while traveling out of the country.
Federal Trade Commission:  The FTC is interested in receiving written complaints about problems with purchasing funeral goods and services.  Free pamphlet “Consumer Guide to the FTC Funeral Rule.”  Available by writing to:  Federal Trade Commission 915 2nd AVE Floor 28 Seattle,  Wa  98174  - 877.382.4537
Federal IRS:  800.829.1040 may assist with questions on forms.  To order Tax Information for Older Adults call 800.829.3676
Medicare Hotline:  800.633.4227  (1.800.MEDICAR) may answer questions about Medicare, policies,  insurance fraud and special Medicare beneficiary programs.  Additionally, you may inquire at for the booklet “ Choosing a Medicap Policy:  A Guide to Health Insurance for People with Medicare”.
Seattle Veterans Action Center: 206.625.4656
Social Security Administration:  Seattle:  206.763.9222;  Toll Free 800.562.6350.
U.S. Veteran’s Administration:  800.552.7480.
Volunteer Income Tax Assistance(VITA) program available through the local IRS office provides services for seniors, non=English speaking taxpayers and the disabled:  800.829.1040.
Washington State Attorney General’s Office Consumer Resource Centers:   (Statewide) 800.551.4636 (Voice); 800.276.9883 (Hearing Impaired TTD);
Washington State Department of Health Living:  to store your advance Directive online with the Will Registry, go to
Washington State Office of Vital Statistics:  360.236.4300.  For King County, call 206.296.4768 for filing or obtaining copies of a death certificate.
Washington State Department of Licensing, Funeral and Cemetery Office for complaints against a funeral home, cemetery or crematory:  P.O. Box 9012, Olympia,  WA  98507.  Phone 360.664.1555.
Washington State Department of Veteran’s Affairs:  800.562.2308.
Washington State Ferry System:  206.515.3460, which provides for the spreading of ashes in Puget Sound for free.


Most of us find it difficult to think about or talk with family and friends about end-of-life issues. While it is true that these conversations are easier to deal with while we are healthy and before a need arises, every adult at any age should have them. The Honor My Wishes program is outstanding. My husband and I took it and found it to be thought-provoking and enormously helpful. We found the guidebook to be very useful as we collected important information. Feedback from people who also took the classes was equally positive. All of the information was very helpful. I liked the impet

[read more]

Linda Henry, Puyallup, WA